Thursday, April 30, 2009

Believe In Fred

A few weeks ago, I started my quest for my catch phrase.

Thanks to those that shared their ideas. While I appreciate the "beached whale" and "stuffed sausage" references, I think I'll pass.

To prepare myself, I started digging through my iPod song list, favorite movies, books that I like, and past posts. I found a nugget of an idea: from the wrap up letter following Nation's Triathlon.

I don't know if you remember: after the race, my teammates and I went out for a few soda pops. As we walked in to the bar, the speakers are blaring Journey's "Don't Stop Believing."

"That's it!," I said to myself as I read the letter. It still is a poignant reminder of why we are doing this, isn't it?

"Sure," I say to myself, as the doubt creeps in. "But you can't fall back on an old message. This time is about more than that first experience. Isn't it?"

That's when my mind starts wandering. If you don't know me very well...my mind wanders...a lot. I like to think of it as creative moments. My family thinks I have adult onset Attention Deficit Disorder.

Suddenly, other songs fill my head. Songs from my youth. Songs like "Crazy Train" and "Enter Sandman" and "Psycho Killer." Can I find something there?

Like: "Help get me off this crazy train"? or use some play on words with "sand" and "sandman"? Maybe bring in the "beached whale" reference, stuck on the sand?

I gave up on "Psycho Killer."

But the sights and sounds of my youth seemed to fill my head. Is there something there?

Then I started thinking of Eric. When he was diagnosed, the second time. And his nickname, Fred, that he earned after he drove the family car into the garage. Not, in to the garage. Into the garage.

His younger brother, after hearing the news, said, "Eric, you can be a real Fred sometimes." I've shared notes from AJ from time to time. So I think you know his sense of humor.

The name didn't stick then. No, the name didn't stick for some time. It didn't take hold until after Eric's dad returned from a trip to New York.

You see, Eric's dad picked up a newspaper while he was in NYC. And the editorial in the paper that day was titled: I used to believe in Santa Claus, now I believe in FRED.

The name stuck. He's been Fred, at least to his close friends, ever since.

"Wait a minute!" My mind is going crazy!!! I've got it!

I've got my catch phrase, thanks to Fred!

Eric is an important motivating force in why I am doing this. He led the way for me to meet so many people on my last journey, and hear their stories. Those stories are what encouraged me to take on this journey. Eric, to this day, continues to be a positive force, as he continues his recovery. I believe that together we are all making a difference. A positive difference.

"So, what is the catch phrase," you ask?

BELIEVE IN FRED.

No comments: