Monday, January 12, 2009

Spin It To Win It

I don't know that I've really talked much about the fundraising side of this crazy train. I shared the story about Camille Claudil (which, by the way, I have it narrowed down to 4 people...maybe...I think...oh shoot). But other than that...

So how's it going?
Thanks to your generosity, we have raised over $1,300 in petitioned donations. "Wait a minute! Aren't all donations petitioned donations?," you ask. Well, yes, they pretty much are.

Really, I don't know of many occasions where a donation comes unsolicited. There is the story about S.S. Kresge making an unannounced visit to UM-Dearborn.

As the story goes: the "old man" visited the campus early in the school's infancy. Mr. Kresge walked in to the Chancellor's office and asked if the school needed anything. Not knowing who he was, the Chancellor politely said no...and, what d'ya know, UM-Dearborn is the only public university in Michigan that doesn't bear Mr. Kresge's name on its library.

An urban legend? I don't know. But it does illustrate the point that not too many folks come knocking unannounced. Still I feel awkward calling the gifts by any other name.

"Solicited?" I suppose. But it just sounds too tawdry.

"Cajoled?" Too sneeky.

"Begged?" Too desperate. Hmmm...well...maybe I shouldn't rule that one out.

Creativity rules
"Murphy,' you say. "Tell me that you're not just hitting your friends up for money." And, you are right to ask that of me. Times are really tight. And while I really do appreciate every dime you have given, we can't make our goal (yes, our goal. you are part of my team) through petitioned donations alone.

So, my teammates and I have been a little creative. We've come up with a series of "FUN"draisers, where we try to create a fun night out that will also bring in a few pennies.

Our first "FUN"draiser, a Spin-a-Thon, was this past weekend. "A what?," you ask. "A Spin-a-Thon?"

Yes, a Spin-a-Thon. We invited a bunch of our friends and other cycling ne'er-do-wells to join us for 3 hours of a spinning class at Beverly Hills Club.

"Wait, I thought you said that these were supposed to be fun, Murphy. You know, you are really off your rockers. I'm beginning to think your weight loss was all from your head."

I know. It might not be what most of us consider fun. Three years ago, I would have "urped" at the idea.

But, really, we're trying to be creative. "So, did it work?" Good question.

You'd be happy to know that it was well attended. And as a team, we raised a few coins. And that, in the end, is what matters.

If Spin-a-Thons aren't your gig, I am working on a couple of other "FUN"draisers. Our next event is a Bowl-a-Thon, scheduled for February 21st. RoseBowl Lanes is hosting us that evening. RoseBowl Lanes is on Groesbeck in Roseville. Tickets are $25/person, and includes bowling (obviously), pizza and soda pop. I'll post more information on the Bowl-a-Thon once we get the flyer together.

It also looks like the Progressive Dinner Party will take place again. And I am finalizing the details on a Spaghetti Dinner.

These events are more my speed. And hopefully yours too. So, maybe we'll see you at a "FUN"draiser???

No comments: