Monday, August 20, 2007

Mmmm...beer

Homer is brilliant.

No, I'm not talking about the famed poet of Iliad and Odyssey fame. Although I could make a couple of Achilles jokes.

No, I'm talking about the OTHER Homer. Simpson.

I love a good fundraiser that involves food and drink.

"Mmmm...donuts."

"Mmmm...beer."

"Mmmm...something."

So imagine the fun I had on Sunday joining six of my teammates for a little fundraiser they planned at a watering hole on the eastside. Imagine the fun I REALLY had because I wasn't working the fundraiser.

"Mmmm...beer."

We went to this place called Dragonmead. Its a little microbrewery off the 696 Service Drive in Warren.

They make their own beer in the warehouse behind the bar. Its good stuff. Really good stuff.

"Mmmm...beer."

More importantly, though, it gave me a chance to get to know my teammates a little better. Like Pete.

I turns out that I have a lot in common with Pete. We went to the same elementary school (good old Poppleton) and middle school (Boulan Park). Our high schools have been torn down and turned in to community centers (Troy High for me, Warren High for Pete). Our kids are doing better than we imagined thanks to the Catholic School education they're getting.

There is no better beer for a summer night than Oberon. Especially after swim practice.

Elisha and I almost bought a house four doors down from his family. If it weren't for the smell of curry, I am certain that you would find Pete and I standing at the bottom of his driveway with a beer in one hand and a couple of empties next to the mailbox.

I had a wonderful time getting to know Pete a little more than I had known before this weekend. I also enjoyed the time I passed visiting with Ron and his wife Bonnie, Andi and her husband Gary, Carly, Alicia, Rob (a.k.a. BJ).

Their stories are remarkable. Ron retired early from Hitachi to become a pastor. Carly is the only person I know to have suffered a concussion during a fundraiser in front of a grocery store. Talk about taking one for the team!

I can't imagine being with a nicer bunch of people. They really make this journey enjoyable.

A few weeks ago, I was nervous about the race. I didn't want it to come.

Today? I still don't want it to come. But for different reasons.

For as much as I have anguished over the event, I have enjoyed the journey to get there...thanks to these remarkable people.

I don't want it to end.

No comments: