Sunday, August 12, 2007

You can call me Banana Man

Well, I did it.

I completed the Craig Greenfield Memorial Triathlon last Sunday.

All in all, it went pretty well. What was more fun, though, was seeing a bunch of my Team In Training friends there, too. We kinda hung out together before the race started.

I can see how this triathlon group is like one big fraternity. Without the hazing. Then again, when I think of it, the competition is one big hazing trial after another.

I also met a a couple of first timers (now that I have one under my belt, suddenly I know what I'm talking about!). I really enjoyed visiting with this guy, Jim.

Jim is a marathon runner, for the most part. He was bored with the "marathon scene" and decided to give the Craig Greenfield a try.

As we talked, he asked me what I did for nutrition and hydration. Considering how much I get leg cramps, I try to eat a banana or two before the race, and take one on the bike with me.

I didn't think much of our conversation until later in the race. I was on my bike in the second lap when Jim passed me. As he raced by, I heard him shout, "Hey Banana Man!"

I laughed so hard, I almost crashed my bike.

The rest of the race went pretty well, even though the weather didn't cooperate. It was pretty wet. So after the race, Elisha and I grabbed the kids and dashed over to the Clarkston Union for lunch.

As we waited for lunch, I shared the "Banana Man" story with the kids. They laughed, too, but I think because they thought "Banana Man" sounded funny.

Next thing my daughter starts a soft chant: "Banana Boy, Banana Boy, Banana Boy." The other two join in the chorus.

At this point, I'm waiting for a John Hughes movie soundtrack to start playing, as the crowd in the restaurant picks me up and carries me off to....oh sorry.

Needless to say, I've now earned the nickname "Banana Boy." I tried to convince my kids that "Banana Man" sounds...well...more mature.

I think that further cemented my new nickname as "Banana Boy."

...I know that it's been a while since I last wrote. But I celebrated my 39th birthday this week, by taking some time off from work...we rented a pontoon boat and floated around the Huron River Chain of Lakes..."Banana Boy" and his sidekicks had a wonderful time...thank goodness for work, though...I need some rest.

No comments: